First Time Home Buyers in Alabama and Mississippi
Programs Available at the State Level (Alabama Only)
- Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC): This program is offered through the Alabama Housing Finance Authority and is available only to first-time homebuyers (if you are a repeat buyer but haven’t owned a home in the past three years, you also may apply). If you are eligible, you can receive a tax credit each year. Credit rates range between 20-50% and depend on the amount of your mortgage. You can qualify for the certificate with a conventional fixed-rate loan, or an FHA, VA, or Rural Development loan. Privately insured loans are acceptable as well.
- Alabama Step Up: Also offered by the Alabama Housing Finance Authority, this is a program geared at home-buyers with low or moderate incomes. It provides 3% down payment assistance and can be used with a conventional or FHA home loan.
Programs Available in Alabama and Mississippi
- FHA: As a first-time home buyer, one of the best programs you can take advantage of at the national level is the FHA loan program. When you take out this type of loan, it is insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). The down payment can be as low as 3.5%. You can qualify even if you are still working on building up your credit score.
- VA: For veterans, active duty service members and eligible spouses, a VA loan opens the door to an affordable mortgage with zero down payment. This program is insured by the Department of Veterans Affairs. You do not need to purchase private mortgage insurance (PMI) with a VA home loan.
- USDA: There are many opportunities in the Shoals area to purchase a home which is eligible for financing through the USDA home loan program insured by the US Department of Agriculture. First time home buyers with USDA loans may be eligible for zero down payment.
Why Work with The Mortgage Link, Inc.?
Here are a few reasons to apply for your first home loan through The Mortgage Link, Inc.:
- We have nearly 2 decades of experience in the mortgage industry, with solid roots in the community. We know this real estate market inside and out and can process your first time home buyer application rapidly and smoothly, getting you into your first home fast.
- Around 95% of our business is with customers who are applying for FHA, VA, and USDA home loans. We are experts in the qualifications and benefits of these programs and can quickly assess your eligibility and walk you through the application steps.
- Every step of the way, we strive to keep you up-to-date with the progress of your application. If you have questions at any time, you can reach us 7 days of the week.
- This is only the beginning of your journey as a homeowner. By putting your satisfaction first at all times, we strive to make it only the beginning of a long-term relationship with you as well.
Apply Now for Your First Mortgage
Your first home is waiting for you. Let’s get you into your dream home quickly and affordably. Please give us a call today at (205) 495-0313 to schedule your consultation.